Monday, October 11, 2010
Something's Missing
Dave came home from work tonight to find me playing in the dirt. I proudly pointed to an empty patch that previously had been occupied by a half-dead bush. He couldn't believe that I'd removed it myself (so I reminded him that this isn't the first time I've uprooted bushes in my front yard...)
All of the mutilated branches now form a pile on the back porch twice as big as the bush I ripped up. And yard waste recycling isn't until the end of the month--bad timing on my part. But we don't use our back porch, so the pile can stay there as long as it needs to!
While I was motivated (and already dirty and sweaty), I also removed the ancient pine straw from around my azaleas, added some fresh topsoil, and replaced the pine straw with cypress mulch. Eventually I would like to have cypress mulch in all of the flower beds visible from the street. We'll see if that happens before the cold weather returns...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hmm...why ARE men astounded when women do yard work? I recently went on an uprooting rampage myself and then planted some very autumn-festive mums and pansies. I'm quite proud of my work. In true feminine style, I added a flag and some scarecrows (much to Christopher's shagrin, I'm sure). When I was little my dad had the same habit of ripping things up by the roots and scaling down bushes to bare branches in the fall. We then referred to the front yard as "The Elephant Graveyard."
Post a Comment