Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Austen I Have Read

It all started with Emma, which I read for summer reading the year we moved to Georgia. Several years later, I read Sense and Sensibility during my first year of teaching. My obsession with all things Austen really took off two years ago when I started watching the new Masterpiece Theater productions of her novels. Since then I have read both Persuasion and Northanger Abbey. I have also inundated myself with an avalanche of sequels, prequels, spin-offs, and spoofs:
  • What Would Jane Austen Do? by Laurie Brown -- Good fluff
  • Lydia Bennet's Story by Jane Odiwe -- Well-written, but I didn't necessarily agree with Lydia's happy ending
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith -- I wouldn't have read this if it weren't for Book Club, and I actually enjoyed it
  • Jane Austen by Marghanita Laski -- Short biography with lots of pictures!
  • Austenland by Shannon Hale -- Really cute fluff!
  • Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler -- I was disappointed with this one
  • Jane Austin's Guide to Dating by Lauren Henderson -- Hilarious non-fiction!
That doesn't include all of the books on my shelf (plus Mansfield Park and Pride and Prejudice, which I have not actually read yet). Hence the reason for joining the Jane Austen Challenge...

No comments: